Wednesday, April 28, 2010

The search for the best Mexican restaurant in Portland.

I never thought about how much I miss having good mexican food until I moved to Portland. There are an abundant amounts of great places to eat here, but I have yet to find a great Mexican place. Already, I've been given some recommendations of places to hit up. But quite honestly, I think they are all going to be the same and not what I'm looking for. For those of you that have had good mexican will know what I'm talking about.
I'm not going to claim to be an expert on Mexican food, (I just call it food)...ok well maybe I am. I think I'm more qualified than you.
Today at work, I was given the responsibility of finding the best mexican food place in Portland. To most people the criteria wont matter and as long as its good service, and the food is ok, its fine. If that's the case, then 90% of all mexican food places will do just fine.
My first spot to check out was Mazatlan, on Burnside and 21st.
This had been a place that a few people had recommended and because of its proximity and my appetite, it seemed like a good choice. The chips and salsa were just ok. the salsa was a bit weak and the chips were nothing special. I figured because the waiter greeted me in spanish, he'd know better than to bring me the mild stuff.
I was really hungry so I didnt want to just go with a burrito, (which is not the way to go). I ordered the #15 which is a taco (beef), enchilada (check) tostada (plain) and chile reneno. (beans and rice of course). taco was not great, enchilada was good and chile reneno was good (my dad would approve). This would be a place I would recommend as a good places but it still isnt what I'm looking for.
Overall, the food was good. Better than Santa Fe Taqueria on 23rd, and that other place by Loyd center. Nothing special or spectacular about it. I'm sure this is going to be like most places I try. The search continues....

No comments:

Post a Comment